Any College Student

Monday, May 22, 2006

Poor college student goes bankrupt due to mother

Last weekend, I went to my mom's new vacation house on a nearby island. We went with my aunt and two cousins. The first night we all drank some cocktails (or if you're my mom, a whole bottle of champagne) and played Upwords.

The next day, we went out to lunch. As we were sitting down, my mom says

"So how about you pay for lunch today?"

Me: "Huh? Are you serious?"

Mom: "Yeah. I'm paying for dinner. You should pay for lunch. What's the problem?"

Everyone at the table turns to me.

Me: "I don't have enough money for that... I don't have a paying job right now. I'm not making any money. Why would you ask me to pay?" In front of my family, too...

Mom: "I'm not asking you to pay for everyone's lunch, just yours and mine."

Me: "... No?"

A few moments later, everyone resumes their conversations. I remain quiet for most of the meal. When the check comes, I pretend not to notice until my aunt pulls out her credit card and to prevent her from paying for the whole thing, my mom gets hers out too (she had claimed that she forgot to bring it).

Later that night, she came over and told me that she was sorry for embarrassing me in front of my family. She did not, however, explain why she had asked me to pay or what the policy should be going forward.

So today, I realized how uncomfortable the rest of the summer might be when we went out to lunch and the check came.

1 Comments:

  • Hey, that sucks. Never eat with her. Ever. She might make you pay for groceries. Go live with your dad.

    By Blogger Ripsy, at 1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home