Any College Student

Saturday, May 21, 2005

A few notes on women

I've had the female gender on my mind lately, here are some things I'll share.

- Don't say "I wish I understood women" or "I don't understand women." By saying that, you're implying that we're all the same. We're not! Say "I wish I understood L 12" or "I don't understand Susan." What makes me happy probably isn't the same as what makes Susan happy, so don't assume that by figuring me out, you figured Susan out too. It works the other way, too. I know, for example, that Guy #1 wants to serve his girlfriend hand and foot and make her dinner every night. Does Guy #2 want that, or the rest of the Guys? Probably not. And if Guy #2 wants that, they have one thing in common - wanting to serve their girlfriend does not make them the same man with the exact same needs. Guy #1, for example, is bisexual.

- I made the terrible mistake a while ago of accidentally insulting my gender. I'm going to take most of the blame, but I'd like to leave a little bit for society. So, I was in my guy friend's room at school and I proved that I was stronger than him by pinning him. After writing "pansy" on his bicep, I called him a woman - obviously he's a woman, because he's a weak man. Yes, women are nothing but weak men. He was being a little more intelligent than me, and pointed out the insult to my gender. He 0wned me.

- It's summer, and as a 19-year old young woman, I keep finding out that clothes I used to own and wear often don't fit me anymore. Or at least not the way they used to fit me. And this is happening RIGHT before I go to Hawaii. Oh, yippee skippy! It's awful that even when I know that my self-image is a result of the culture I live in, I still feel self-conscious in the most stereotypical ways.

7 Comments:

  • You make a great point in saying Don't say I want to understand women, because that infers that they're all the same. (Yes, I'm paraphrasing). THat's true and here's one I want to share with you: It's not that big a deal to look in a woman's eyes and tell her that she's beautiful. That really is pretty lame. I was married for 10 years; we had 3 kids. But then we got divorced. Never once, never during any day I ever spent with her did I ever think she was ugly or even average looking.
    What broke us up was the personality clashes, disliking the excessive cynacism, the tiresomeness of thinking the worst of each other, all that damn anger......ugh.

    Anyway, I don't want to bore you too much with my life. I would like it if you weren't terribly busy if you could see my blog at
    http://www.vince-s-ithaca.blogspot.com (all one line)
    The bottom line is that personality, compatibility, CALMNESS RATHER THAN CYNICISM counts!
    Well, anyway, I wish you and Mr. Boyfriend have a good time. would like if you could check my blog out, will keep tuned in to yours...

    By Blogger Qualityservice44, at 10:17 PM  

  • I wish I didn't care about my body as much as I do. I am going through the same thing... 19 and my body is still changing. I want to just say "fuck it" and not care... but I still feel self concious about my clothes not fitting like they used to. And what is worse is people will COMMENT on it! "Pants a little tight today, huh?" What IS that? As if I DONT KNOW that I've gained a little weight. Whatever though.

    On your trip to Hawaii try not to think about your body, and just enjoy the beauty of what is around you. If you feel good about yourself and pay no attention to the extra weight (or whatever it is in your case), poeple will notice your enthusiasm and high self esteem and will never even see the "flaws".

    Flaws... who decides what "flaws" are anyway. That pisses me off. Damn society.

    By Blogger Ashley, at 2:28 PM  

  • She only pinned that guy because she's so fat. L12 is seriously like the fattest person I know. She's not obese or anything, but DAMN those pants could fit a Becklain or two. Oh wait I guess that means she is obese...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:15 PM  

  • Why would you say something like that one someones blog? That is not only rude, but it is insensitive and mean. How is it your place to talk about someone else's weight on a blog other then your own?

    By Blogger Ashley, at 9:33 PM  

  • Maybe I was wrong by commenting that... maybe you (granny) know L12 and there is some kind of inside joke? I hope so. Maybe I am infact the one that is out of line because I misunderstook Granny's comment... and if that is the case I am sorry.

    By Blogger Ashley, at 9:38 PM  

  • ashley, granny is kidding. She's one of my friends in real life. But she is insensitive, which is part of why I love her.

    And by love, I mean loathe.

    By Blogger Jen Johnson, at 9:39 PM  

  • No need to be sorry though, it was thoughtful that you were defending my honor :)

    By Blogger Jen Johnson, at 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home