Any College Student

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

How to deal with compliments

After conducting my first interview for my first documentary, I called roommate to come help me move equipment.

There was a huge camera case (size: large suitcase), a huge metal tripod (size: huge), and a box with lighting equipment in it (not that big but heavy and deceptive because it has a strap to put around your shoulder, but the clip always breaks so you can't carry it around your shoulder anyway).

Since I would have been embarrassed to just wait outside the interviewee (a teacher)'s office right after we had said "see ya around", I made to drag the equipment over to a place with a bunch of tables outside - about 50 feet away. But I didn't have 3 arms, and I didn't want to drop anything at a table and then leave it for any thieves while I doubled back. So I tried to balance the light box on top of the camera case while holding a tripod in my other arm, rolling the case over cobblestones.

As I began to do this, a worker at the school (post office or something?) who I had never seen before looked over at me. "Can I help you?"

"Um, no thanks, I think I'm good" I said (because I'm obviously not very smart, but also because I didn't know him).

"You are beautiful."

(awkward pause) "uh... thanks. You are beautiful too." As soon as I said that I wondered if that was supposed to be an indication of my willingness to go to bed with him. I avoided eye contact.

After a few more awkward moments, the man left me alone and I wheeled my case about 10 feet before the light box fell off and almost crashed to the ground. Obviously I did need some help. But... oh well. At least I was no longer being complimented.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home