Any College Student

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Scone champion

So here's the situation. One of my housemates, D-dawg, has a number of qualities. She's really quite a character. One of her qualities is "I'm always right." And she usually is. And she tells you when you're not right. So it's always nervewracking to be in the kitchen. Now that I'm off the meal plan, I have to figure out how every little thing is supposed to be done. Not that I was clueless before, but little things like how hot to have the pan when you're cooking chicken or vegetables.

D-dawg always makes really good food. She makes a lot of Italian food, and Mexican food... she just makes a lot of food. And she makes it all homemade; her pasta sauce, her marinades. So I always feel like a child when I stroll into the kitchen with my jar of alfredo sauce and bottle of marinade, my packages of frozen vegetables, etc. And naturally, while it is sometimes pretty damn annoying when she looks over my shoulder and says "What are you making? Why are you doing it that way?", I also look up to her because - like I said - she knows what she's doing.

So after she made scones one time, I decided "Hey, baked goods are fun!" and when I went to the store I got blueberry & sour cream scones, from the England section of course. (Only England makes scones). And yesterday, I was really really really bored, so I decided it was scone time. In spite of my fear of our malfunctioning oven (you have to guess the temperature. I'm not kidding), I bravely mixed the ingredients and scooped my scones onto the cookie sheet. D-dawg was there for moral support and to knit, and so there were of course occasional comments. My favorite was "You're so funny." When asked to elaborate, she said that she meant I was funny because I always took the longest way to do everything and paid too much attention to things that didn't matter. See how skilled she is at taking potential compliments and making them uncompliments?

Anyway. All that to say... My scones were PERFECT. They were so yummy and delicious. And. They were better than HERS. BOOYA D-DAWG!!!

I tip my hat to all people who venture to make baked goods this week.

2 Comments:

  • Bravo! I'm so proud of you and your scone making ways!

    By Blogger Beth, at 11:39 PM  

  • After posts on poo and panda rape, nothing hits the spot like a homemade scone. Congrats!

    By Blogger Chase McInerney, at 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home