Any College Student

Friday, August 19, 2005

Fear and loathing in Las Concert

On Wednesday night, I went to see a concert. About 95% of me said "nooo I'm too lazy" but the other 5% said "Leave the house before you die of being indoors with your parents." So I'm not sure how, but the 5% won. I think I was too lazy to tell my friends that I didn't want to go.

Anyway it's amazing how seeing something I never wanted to see could make the night so interesting. The opening band was great. I noticed there was this guy rocking out pretty intense so I figured he was a friend of the band members. But he kept rocking out when the next band came on stage. Maybe I should clarify. By rocking out, I mean he was doing air guitar and air drums, and then bending over and shooting his arms up behind him like a little kid pretending to be an airplane. Oh- and this guy was at least 40 years old. At first I was sort of amused in a somewhat frightened way. Then when the next band came on, and I was in the crowd, he started "dancing" right next to me. I made the mistake of looking him in the eye, at which point he started urging other people to dance like him. After about two minutes everyone had backed away enough that the guy had a huge space to himself for his "dancing."

After a while, the old weird dancing guy ran away and his strangeness was replaced with another type of odd. The singer of the fourth band. He seemed to think that since he was just singing; not playing guitar or piano or whatever, he needed to do something else that might be interesting. Okay, but did he really need to seduce his microphone? He was literally gyrating his hips and looked like he was about to give the mic a blowjob at one point. Then he did the thing where he put a foot up on a stool and bent over a little, making him look like a prime candidate for some male lovin', and sang the sweet soft part of the song to a group of girls in the crowd. I guess he's ready to start his boy band! The funny weird part? Everyone except me and the people I came with loved him.

When that band was finally off the stage, we found what I think might have been the old crazy dancer's brother. Or a relative of some sort at least, because this guy was also insane. Again he was the only 40 year old man in a crowd of mostly high school faux punks, and yes, he was dancing. It was more of a spin around and wave your hands like you're at a hippie festival dancing than an airplane deal. But it was still pretty strange. He eventually cultivated a small space around him as people noticed his strange dancing and stepped away in... admiration. Yeah, that's it.

2 Comments:

  • great story, tell it again!

    By Blogger Ripsy, at 3:35 PM  

  • I think ripsy was kidding.

    I went to a concert to. Pretty nice place as it was right off of Lake Michigan. It was the band Catch Penny. IT was even cozy enough to bring my 3 kids.

    Hey, L12, it's nice to see your blog again. I've been trapped in a lot of insanity and it wasn't even my own! Hope you get a chance to mosey on over to my blog.

    I'm glad to leave the law firm I've been complaining about. I landed a full time job @ the hospital I'm at with OT.

    Talk to you later.
    "That annoying old guy near Chicago" Vince

    By Blogger Qualityservice44, at 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home