Any College Student

Friday, December 02, 2005

Act your age, not your shoe size

There are many things that remind me that I am pretty much inferior in this world.
- My bank account
- Being unemployed
- People not looking at me when I walk by them
- People I know not looking at me when I walk by them
- A faculty member I interviewed not remembering me
- My inability to harness my supernatural powers
- Realizing that the main decision in my day is whether I want a tuna or chicken sandwich
- My bra size
- I still get to play the cute little kid card sometimes (where you get everything you want because people think it's cute you're new at something)
- My parents still paying bills for my cost of living (medical, dental, etc)
- Not technically being allowed to drink alcohol
- Nicknames from parents like "Pinkie" not yet gone
- Still sitting at the kids table at family events

Thankfully, there are some reminders that I am a (sometimes) mature adult:
- I can go to jail for statutory rape
- It's not too soon to notice things like my brain turning into a blob of dysfunction
- Worrying about weight and diet is no longer "something you don't have to think about yet"
- Is that a blonde hair or a grey one? is a legitimate question
- Getting less than 7 hours of sleep causes morning-after "I'm just not as young as I used to be" feelings when I realize that my body feels sick
- I started caring about politics
- I started noticing that there are a lot of stupid people. Seriously.

3 Comments:

  • I liked the fact that when I was past 18 I was more in control of my life. It seemed like my parents were always over my shoulder when I was a minor and I really felt at 18 it was time to move away and start my own life.

    It looks like you have also. I like the fact that you wrote that you now care about politics. So many people twice your age don't, and it's pathetic. As you grow older and find out more, the hope is that things will continue to improve and you don't feel like your in transition (between kid & adult). But it takes awhile

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:48 PM  

  • Forgive me for carping. I don't want to besmirch your fine post. But I'm a little peeved with Blogspot. There's no way that if you correctly enter your user name and password that a different entry comes up and tells everyone in the whole wide world your full name.
    That's what happened on the comment before, and I'm not happy. Nothing you can do about it, L12. & perhaps no one is angry enough to even contact me through other means anyhow. But still......

    By Blogger Qualityservice44, at 3:12 PM  

  • Trust me, ma'am, it gets better. Well, it does but then it gets worse. Then it does get better... but then ...

    By Blogger Chase McInerney, at 9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home