Any College Student

Friday, July 08, 2005

Make us proud, Nazis!

One of my favorite shows is Grey's Anatomy. I'm not sure why, but I'm pretty much addicted to it - like Desperate Housewives. It's a show about medical interns in a hospital in Seattle. I only caught the tail end of the season though, so as re-runs have been coming out, I've been watching them.. but they stopped showing for a few weeks, so I went to ABC's website to see when the next showing might be. I ran across a message board and out of curiosity, I read some of the posts.

One of the subjects is called "Really Racist Show" and basically criticizes the show for a comment a character made about the education system in Mexico. I believe the line was: "Where'd you go to med school; in Mexico?" I thought it was interesting because my bet is a lot of medical interns would make the same joke - and it's not as if racist or sexist jokes aren't popular even if they're not considered politically correct.

What really irritated me though was that the response to the person's comment was incredibly racist. The initial commentor was a medical student in Mexico, and felt offended by the show's comment, and the people replying basically called Mexicans poor and seemed to understand Latinos only under the context of Latin gang members in bad San Diego neighborhoods. Not every Mexican is a Latino gang member just because that's where you see them.

One person said that "most" of the several million Latin Americans "don't even understand English", when English is today considered the language of diplomacy, the most common second language, and is spoken by 1/4 to 1/3 of the world.

Americans are really, REALLY full of themselves.

Here is the forum link if anyone's interested:
http://forums.go.com/abc/thread?threadID=460226&forumStart=0

3 Comments:

  • I am deeply offended by your comment about Americans being full of themselves.
    It is such an ignorant generalization. I'm sure one or two self-cannibalist Americans have eaten so much of themselves that they're full, but come on, EVERY American? That's more people than there are cannibals in the entire WORLD.

    Get your facts straight next time, k?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:15 PM  

  • But I said Really TWICE. so it must be true.

    By Blogger Jen Johnson, at 12:27 PM  

  • Who's the moose? Don't we still have the freedom to shoot worthless animals like moose in America? You're right, L12. Case closed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home