Any College Student

Sunday, December 11, 2005

I want to play with the cool kids, too!

As I mentioned in my post about politics, I am not particularly well acquainted with the inner workings of the outer world. I get sucked into this strange-but-lovely (and by lovely I mean suffocating and terrifying) world where cowboy boots with leg warmers, tights, and a miniskirt are "cool", nudity in public is OK, men wearing eyeliner is NOT weird, and reading Mein Kampf is not strange. Is it the same in the outside world, with the "regular" people?

When I wonder this, I get a vision of carrying a little copy of Mein Kampf into the workplace, and seeing people get visibly uncomfortable when they find out what cute little book I brought to read during my lunch break. Of course, soon thereafter I am being carried to a pit of burning flames, and my screams of "I'm studying him for psychology!" are unheard. More disturbingly, in this scenario I will be saved by a group of people with bald heads led by Edward Norton.*

More importantly, does EVERY SINGLE PERSON on the outside own an iPod? I'm serious. Every single person here seems to own an iPod. When did it become unacceptable to walk from point A to point B and listen to the sweet, soft sounds of nature or cars passing by? When did it become cool to have headphones on at all times? Why don't I have one!!!

Actually, it's my own fault. My dad offered to get me an iPod for my birthday last year, and I said I'd rather get shoes. I think I was shunning the whole iPod thing as overrated, in the same vein as the unappreciated hype over Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. And the most uncool person who ever lived, my mother, owns an iPod. And she doesn't even know what they are! I also felt guilty because I didn't want my dad to spend a massive $400 for an iPod to make me happy. Luckily, I got shoes instead (these shoes are currently MIA. So... good choice, me!).

Now, what's really interesting is that my roommate, who is constantly complaining about how poor she is (not in the I'm-so-poor-I-can't-go-out-to-the-movies way, but in the my-family-is-so-poor-because-my-parents-are-starving-artists way) recently got the new video iPod. Are you kidding me?

I am so ready to chuck an iPod at someone's lame-ass head.


That blue thing is a fanny pack. Those are probably going to be cool at college soon, too.


* Need help with this reference?

3 Comments:

  • L12,
    There's people that not only don't own or care about an Ipod but don't own or care about a computer! There's a guy I used to work with named John; he's 24. His mother and father are both doctors. He is extremely knowledgeable about the history of rock n' roll and the blues.
    He can't stand computers. He even goes so far as to say a CD has inferior sound quality to the old vinyl albums you play @ 33 rpm. Well, that's just way too retro for me and probably you too; but they're out there.

    People, even non-Jews still look at a book like Mein Kampf with horror because 20 years ago, people in their 50s, 60s, knew people who died in WWII. 1 out of every 4 Polish men were slaughtered. 6,000,000 Jews; about 10,000,0000 Russians (possibly more)- all dead. All because of Hitler. His book is wacked. He imagined taking over the US by the 1960s. Read the Rise & Fall of the 3rd Reich if you want to a cogent explanation of why Mein Kampf is so bad. One more point:
    L12, you & I know that just because the author is bad doesn't mean the person reading it is bad. Sometimes you can poke holes in their observations and read it the way it should be read (critically). My favorite teacher wanted us to read Mao's Little Red Book. Didn't happen: the rural school district I came from (my snr. grad. class had 29 people) wouldn't allow such a radical book to be read in high school. Who's right? Who's wrong?

    By Blogger Qualityservice44, at 4:25 PM  

  • That's right, professor, because the Germans took over W & SW part of the former USSR which is now Ukraine as well as Byelorussia. Is Volgograd in Ukraine?

    By Blogger Qualityservice44, at 9:53 AM  

  • Unlimited Earnings Potential - http://1greatfuture.com

    Our company is rapidly growing and offers you an extraordinary income helping others succeed. The primary requirement is to follow up on client inquiries and point them in the right direction. It is stress free, rewarding and straightforward work.

    For complete details: http://1greatfuture.com


    (Please feel free to delete this post if you don't want it on your blog. Thanks for the informative blog and opportunity to post.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home