Any College Student

Friday, July 22, 2005

Rich Man, Poor Writer

I'm reading a book called Rich Dad, Poor Dad because my stepdad read it and told me he wanted me to read it. I'm a pretty good reader. I've been reading for a long time and it used to be one of my favorite forms of entertainment (my parents didn't let me watch much TV when I was a kid). But I'm having a LOT of trouble with this book.

It's basically about financial literacy, how to invest in things that generate wealth (stocks, etc) rather than trying to work hard to get a pay raise like the average person. Fine. My problem isn't in what the writer is saying; it's how he says it. He basically starts the book as a story of how he started learning about money. But the problem is when he uses language and writing skills meant for a 10 year old reader. I'm not ten years old! Even if I was, I think I could grasp what this guy is saying without him having to repeat things thirty BILLION times. You don't have to drill it into my head; I heard you the first time.

Here is a perfect example. On page 59, the author writes:
"We focus on the word 'literacy' and not 'financial literacy.' What defines something to be an asset, or something to be a liability are not words. In fact, if you really want to be confused, look up the words 'asset' and 'liability' in the dictionary. I know the definition may sound good to a trained accountant, but for the average person it makes no sense."

Now, on page 61 (a mere 2 PAGES LATER) it says:
"The primary cause of financial struggle is simply not knowing the difference between an asset and a liability. The cause of the confusion is found in the definition of the two words. If you want a lesson in confusion, simply look up the words 'asset' and 'liability' in the dictionary.
Now it may make sense to trained accountants, but to the average person, it may as well be written in Mandarin."

Am I going insane? Can I please sue him for making me go insane?!!!

The thing is, he does this ALL THE TIME. Now some people might say, "Well they're just trying to reach a large audience." So? My opinion is, if you're not smart enough to read it once or twice and understand, you don't deserve to find out how to get rich! Seriously!

8 Comments:

  • Wow, some people are retarded and you obviously cannot respect the disabilities of go-tards like Ron.

    By Blogger Ripsy, at 3:47 PM  

  • If you want a similar book that's written better, maybe try Money of the Mind, by James Grant. I haven't actually read it yet, but my dad wants me to read it, and he's smart and rich and doesn't have patience for bad writing. Can't go wrong with that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:50 PM  

  • I love your book recommendations Granny. Pick a book for me.

    By Blogger Ripsy, at 6:26 PM  

  • The Homosexual Delusion: Gays can find true joy in Jesus, by Jim Yohe.

    I'm just trying to help your soul, Jag.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:53 AM  

  • Jag? Heh.

    By Blogger Ripsy, at 1:07 AM  

  • So does he say anything worthwhile in the book? My partner at the hospital read it and kind of liked it. But I can certainly see your point; being talked down to is annoying.

    By Blogger Qualityservice44, at 10:55 PM  

  • By the way, if you want to read a good book read Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse. It has sex, drugs, hallucinations just all sorts of good stuff. Now the first part of the book drags a little because Harry is depressed but once he meets Hermine, it just takes off! This is a book I strongly recommend!

    By Blogger Qualityservice44, at 11:12 PM  

  • I hate when people get published and write absolute shite. Ref: Cecelia Ahern, and any of the absolute rubbish she has concocted.

    By Blogger emma5, at 2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home